While some people understand the full benefits when they set up an eBay account, the truth is that there is far more to this online auction site that remains one of the best kept secrets. If you have been considering starting your own eBay store or perhaps already have one but want a more successful business, the following six tips will provide guidance.
After you set up an eBay account, you need to take adequate time to learn about all the features and systems provided by eBay. While some come at a small price, more are free. The key is learning what these features are and the ways in which they can help boost sales on your site.
1. Research, research, research – Once you have set up an eBay account but before you simply start putting things up for sale, it is vital that you do some research. First, you should conduct a search for the very types of items you want to put in your store. This way, you can determine if these items are good sellers or a waste of time. Second, research can be a very valuable tool in setting prices that are still bargains to the buyer but also below that of your competition. For instance, if you were interested in selling antiques, you could search specific items and then base your own store inventory on items proving successful.
2. Promotional Tools – As mentioned, one of the reasons so many people choose to set up an eBay account has to do with all the incredible features eBay offers to buyers and sellers. One of the free tools offered through this online auction site is the cross-promotional feature. The way this is set up is so sellers can invite each other to promote items being sold. Of course, as with any affiliate, it is important to choose wisely. Obviously, you want cross-promotional eBay stores that will help increase your business while boosting your online reputation.
3. Specialty Sites – Another consideration after you set up an eBay account has to do with specialty sites on eBay. For instance, you will find a number of sites within eBay that can help promote your site, thus increasing your earning potential. Some of the favorites and most beneficial include “want it now”, “eBay motors”, “eBay UK”, “half.com”, etc.
4. Full Advantage – Sometimes, a person will sign up for an eBay account and then choose the most obvious solutions for buying and selling. However, keep in mind that eBay provides sellers with many different pages, all which should be used. The more you can connect with prospective buyers by providing in-depth information about you, your company, your policies, and the merchandise being sold the more successful you will ultimately be.
5. Check and Double Check – Even if you have a large inventory you want to sell once you have set up an eBay account, always check and double check not only the item information, but also the spelling and grammar used. If your store has errors, two things happen. First, people will see you as unprofessional and uncaring. Second, search engines will have an impossible task of trying to locate and index your site. Therefore, it is always worth the time and effort to make 100% sure everything is accurate and correct.
6. Follow Up – A common mistake seen by sellers who set up an eBay account is that they get their store up and running and then never follow up to ensure it is running the best way. Instead, make it a habit to look at your online store twice a month so you can make needed changes. If you have something that you have to keep relisting, then perhaps it is time to reword the description, add a different photograph, or add other items to make it a lot sale.